I have pulled out an old copy of the book 10 secrets of success and inner peace by Wayne Dyer.It is an all time leadership classic. I have seen Dr Dyer give inspirational and motivational speeches on these secrets and his passion is very real.
Here are the secrets below. I have thought about and loosley applied some of these over the years and so will dissect each just for fun.
- The First Secret – Have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing.
It is difficult not to get attached to the things that you care about. If i am really attached to the success of something and it isn't going as planned i just say to myself ok, let it go. Sometimes it works
- The Second Secret – Don’t Die with your Music Still in You.
Most people have unused talent but singing isn't my strong suite.
- The Third Secret – You Can’t Give Away What You Don’t Have.
This one seems like common sense.
- The Fourth Secret – Embrace Silence.
This one is vague. I spend alot of time in silence alone, doing absolutely nothing. It's great.
- The Fifth Secret – Give Up Your Personal History.
Hmmm, no thanks.I like my past, it makes up who i am.
- The Sixth Secret – You Can’t Solve a Problem with the Same Mind That Created It.
So true! If i have a problem I can't solve it is because I am part of the problem (or the entire problem). I need someone elses unbiased perspective for clarity and direction.
- The Seventh Secret – There Are No Justified Resentments
True. if you hold resentment you give away your vitality to thoughts or actions toward that negative person or experience. Give up trying to be right and just move on. I need to get alot better at this one.
- The Eighth Secret – Treat Yourself As If You Already Are What You’d Like to Be
Something like see the end in mind. When I first started public speaking, I would visualize speaking for thousands of people and being very successful. This builds alot of confidence.Before any keynote speech I imagine having the most fun in the world(thanks Billy Clennan, a great speaker) and the presentation being an inspiration for everyone.
My other experience with this secret relates to a friend who has dillusions of gradeur, it holds her back b/c she doesn't see herself as she truely is. She pushes away her reality and creates great tension in her life.
- The Ninth Secret – Treasure Your Divinity.
Vague but still somehow inspiring.
The Tenth Secret – Wisdom Is Avoiding All Thoughts That Weaken You.
- Yes and constantly monitoring your thoughts can be exhausting.
Have you read the book, have you applied any of these, what do you think?