As a funny motivational speaker, I am usually hired to do a keynote speech. Here, there isn't a lot of time ( and the audience is too large) to do workshop activities.
However, sometimes I have the opportunity to do a follow up leadership seminar.
Here, we find team building self development activities really need to be catered to the group or they are a generic time drain.
If a group is looking for guest speakers for hire, I often direct them to help the guest speaker research and understand the audience.
A good leadership seminar makes people laugh, think, understand conflict and work together outside of their work context. Here are some fun, memorable morale boosters for your next seminar or event:
- In a leadership seminar, I like breaking down the room based on 4 personality types. Following this I ask the group(s) to solve a business problem by creating a team, based on what personalities they want on it. What will each personality type contribute? How? What will be the drawbacks? In a true inspirational speaker Donald Trump Apprentice Style way; the problem could be to create an advertising campaign to promote a specific product. The discussion that ensues will help people see how personality styles create conflict and effect how you contribute to a team.
- Another fun, simple leadership seminar team activity, based on improv.... is create a story with a word. Each person in a line up adds a word to make up a story. Some people don't listen or get nervous and they put in a word that makes no sense and word by word the group tries to make a sensible story. This is usually very hilarious and great lessons emerge about listening, interpretation, resolving conflict etc. You can create the story around a business theme you are working on to personalize this.
- A simple and easy seminar activity is to tell two truths and a lie. In rounds of 8, each person tells two true statements about themself and one lie. The group has to decide which is the lie. A good way to get to know one another and very funny.
- Balloons are Morale Boosters! Blow up a bunch of balloons of several colours. Have the whole room stand up. The objective is to keep the balloons in the air no matter what, they can't touch the ground. Seminar participants boink balloons to each other, gyrating around trying to keep them in the air. For variation, ask the group to move the red balloons to the front of the room, the green balloons to the back of the room, etc. I was a speaker at a healthcare conference recently and each of balloon colors designated your department ( ie- green is physicians, blue is nurses, red is pharmacist etc). The other speaker for the healthcare conference later tied in the balloon theme, it was great!
- What I like about you. At a recent conference an inspirational speaker did this little activity and the crowd loved it! Have a flip chart paper for each person with their name at the top. Each person goes around and writes what they like about others on their respective paper. Afterwards, the posters can be displayed at work. It is a great morale booster when people can look up at their positive leadership qualities.
Add more fun to your leadership seminar with these simple, inspirational easy morale boosters that build leadership qualities.
Looking for local female motivational speakers for hire? Check out your local National Speakers Association.