Dr. Mike Dow wrote the book, Heal your Brain Drain.
If you feel lethargic, unfocused and your brain is “foggy” this book will help.
Dr. Dow suggests chronic stress drains the brain. With a drained brain, you lack focus, energy, and resilience to get through the day.
Adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol are all stress hormones released when under stress. When all three are too high it drains your brain and you feel wired and tired all the time.
When feel-good hormones like serotonin, dopamine or melatonin are too low, it also heightens this stress response.
Shockingly, the drained brain actually shrinks the frontal cortex or the front part of the brain.
In this cycle, you may find yourself wired for worry and stew in anxious thoughts. This serves to intensify the stress cycle.
Certain things help or hinder our brain health:
- Constantly being on social media drains the brain.
- Melatonin, which is needed to sleep declines with
blue light on our technology, making it difficult to fall asleep.
- Take the shift from foods that spike blood sugar. The Front Brain will actually shrink with sugar and flour.
- Eating five to seven servings of fruit and vegetables a day helps the brain create feel-good hormones like serotonin that helps with brain clarity.
- Dr. Dow Recommends a Modified Mediterranean diet, Filled with lean protein, nuts, and olive oil. Stick to Omega 3 ( like extra virgin olive oil) versus Omega 6 oils
- Foods ( like Nuts or salad dressing) with bad oils like vegetable or soybean oils are bad for you. These oils put the brain in a state of constant inflammation and brain fog.
- Eat Healthy grass-fed meats that are organic and pastured.
- Favor organic dairy
- Also, Find healthy practices ( like yoga or meditation )that shifts you out of fight or flight to rest and digest.
- Female Motivational Speaker