How much do Motivational Speakers Charge?
I get this question all the time. The fee for motivational speakers can be all over the map, so it's hard to differentiate.
Generally though, someone with less experience as a motivational speaker will charge less.
Remember a motivational speaker is different than a trainer or a workshop leader. The goal of a motivational speech is to uplift, inspire and generally change or reinvigorate attitudes. A workshop leader or trainer is more geared to training specific skills.
Motivational speakers usually charge more than a trainer or workshop leader. Many motivational speakers may start as workshop leaders and trainers to gain experience.
A novice motivational speaker may charge fees anywhere from $2,000- 4,000 ( plus expenses). Of course there are exceptions. Some experienced speakers will lower their fee as a favor, for the opportunity to speak to the group or they just love that particular audience.
Speakers in this price range will hopefully have some experience in front of larger audiences and a fairly refined message. It should be a good experience for the audience and they should walk away with some insight.
A more Experienced Motivational Speaker may charge fees anywhere from $4000 to $10,000 plus (plus expenses). Because they are in higher demand, they have a more refined message and are more well known; so there fees go up. You can expect a more polished, customized presentation, high energy delivery and an overall very memorable and impactful experience.
Celebrity Motivational Speakers may charge fees anywhere from $20,000 or higher. They charge higher fees because their message or situation puts them in vogue right now and can help boost attendance at the conference.
Unfortunately I have seen several Survivor and American Idol winners bomb on the platform because their job is not motivational speaking but they are doing it because they are in the news and people want to hear their story.
If you are hiring a motivational speaker, decide on your budget first. Once you set this figure, then determine who are the contenders within that budget.
If you are hiring a motivational speaker here are some ways to potentially save money:
- Negotiate. There may be ways to entice a motivational speaker to reduce their fee to make it more feasible. Offer them booth space in the exhibit hall to sell their books, give them space in your magazine or newsletter, sell them on how fantastic your association or organization is and potential opportunities that will result from the motivational speech.
- Ask the hotel to offer the motivational speaker for an extended stay or late check out time as incentive
- Hire the same motivational speaker for more than one motivational speech, either on different days or for different venues.
- Offer to refer a motivational speaker to other state associations or locations as incentive to negotiate the fee.
- Hire a local motivational speaker ( who lives in the city your event takes place) to reduce travel expenditures. Also ease and convenience of local speaking engagements is a big plus!
- If you think travel expenses may be high, ask for an all inclusive ( travel and all expenses included) fee.