We are currently preparing future generations for work that doesn't exist yet.
The technologies that will drive their work isn't available or even conceivable right now.
- Today's college graduate will have 14 jobs by the age of 38, half of those jobs don't exist right now.
- More information is available today than was available in the previous 5000 years.
- Cell phone use is tripling every six months.
- The average teen receive 2270 text messages a year.
- One out of 8 couples today met on the Internet.
- 70 percent of 4 year olds are using a device or computer for games, forcing the education system to find new ways engage children.
In a compelling motivational Ted Talk, guest speaker, Nick Bostrom presented on the ups and downs of when computers get smarter than people. Listening to his talk you realize that computers can easily render humans as useless. Computers can replace our jobs, responsibilities and all of our roles. As the Ted guest speaker quips, someday life forms will remember that apes came before humans and humans came before computers.
Technology is exciting but I think we should really understand it's impact before it permiates our world completely.