If you want to hire fun, enthusiastic people (& who doesn't ?) forget about formal questions about skill and background- you can read this in a resume. Instead, ask people about their passions. Here, you will find well rounded eclectic people who can drive your business forward.
If you're searching for an accountant, and take a tunnel vision approach to finding one, that's exactly what you'll get. An accountant who thinks only within the boundaries of their job description and education. A well rounded person will sport a lot of interests outside their work and a more unconventional background.
Remember skills can be trained, attitude can't.
Below are some questions that will shine a light on attitude...
- If you had a great idea, how would you present it?
- What are your personal interests and hobbies?
- How do you take a sincere interest in others?
- What are 5 things you are passionate about?
- Tell us about a really challenging time in your life and how you handled it.
- What was your best life lesson?
Look for well rounded people, not just the best person for the job. The questions above will help you suss out a persons attitude, which is crucial to success.
You can hire people who have great skill but their lacklustre attitude will hold them, and the rest of the team, back. Fun loving people make life more enjoyable for everybody around them.
Some people constantly create trouble and chaos, do you want this to be your next new hire?