As a keynote speaker for state association events I usually interview 4 or 5 delegates before the conference. From this interview process, I learn a lot about an industry and specific jobs.
See A sample Keynote Speaker Pre- Program Questionnaire. Here are some of the more interesting things that I have Learned talking to a range of delegates from state associations:
- Most industries suffer from similar sources of stress like budget cuts, doing more work with less resources, increased technology and wading through red tape.
- Change is a constant across industries and it effects everyone at every level and to different degress across the state.
- Some people love their job and some clearly don't. There is no rhymn or reason as to why; other than attitude plays a big role
- Within an industry some people see certain elements of the job as a threat and others will see the same thing as an opportunity.
- Every state association is diverse and members from different parts of the state can have vastly different experiences ( and possibly even accents!).