According to a funny hospitality motivational speaker, at the Restaurant Entrepreneur's Summit, ex- server Greg Snowdow, quoted research to uncover, how servers can get better tips.
7 Tips for Server to get higher tips
- Lightly touch customers. Most people don't get enough human touch. We're not talking an awkward lingering touch, but a light brush on the hand or pat on the back, can create an instant bond.
- Wear something in your hair. This one is for female servers, the funny motivational speakers suggestion is that women, who wear things in their hair, got better tips( the verdict is still out as to why)!
- Introduce yourself by name. Apparently if you do this, you receive an average of $2 more on your final tip.
- Create recriprocity. Servers who leave a mint with the bill, or write a personalized note on bill, get better tips. The thought is, that subconsciously when someone gives you something, you feel obligated to return the favor.
- Repeat the customers order. This simple act shows that you are listening.
- Provide good service. This one seems obvious, but is often overlooked. If you don't do your best to give customers good service ( which many expect or demand), tips will diminish.
- Make customer feel good about themselves. Simply complimenting a complete stranger, can go a long way to build a friendship.