I was a motivational speaker for the Boeing One Team Meeting in Long Beach California last week. The other keynote speaker was Mark David Jones speaking about Strengthening Your Customer Connections.
Mark's motivational speech led us through strategies used to help reinvigorate Disney over the years. Mark worked in various leadership positions for Walt Disney World Resort® for over ten years. He explained how after Walt died, Disney started to coast downhill because they were relying on Walt's vision and it needed to be reinvigorated.
He helped to lead a transformation to help Disney be better today than they were yesterday. The results were astounding including revenue increases of 22%, expenses decreased by 29% and turnover cut in half- all of this over a 3 year period.
Some of the insights gained from the motivational speech involved starting with the end in mind and that what your customer expects is a perceived promise you make regarding the entire experience.
Delivering on your promise involves 3 things:
- Focus on the Core. In his motivational speech Mark talked about the non- negotiables like your vision and your values. Everything else can fall out but non- negotiables will always be priority.
- Understand your Customer. Customers have 5 Essential Needs:
- To be heard and understood
- To belong and contribute
- To feel stable and in control
- To feel significant and special
- To be successful and reach potential
3. Customer Driven Change. Mark and his team at Disney created one set of rules for both customers and staff. The rules were the same for both internal and external customers to avoid confusion and make sure everyone was treated fairly.
Mark's motivational speech was loaded with practical techniques and leadership strategies to both engage customers and staff.