I was a motivational speaker at a large american women's conference and an audience member said I don't sound canadian enough. Apparently I dont have a canadian Accent? What accent do canadians have? Why do people say that? Americans like to mock canadian accents with some harmless heckling. Some delegates tell me that the canadian accent is irritating and often immitated.
I have scoured the internet and asked americans to figure out what the Canadian Accent is:
- Canadians are polite, sorry but maybe I apologize a bit more than usual
- Canadians often finish their sentences with Eh. Eh?
- Americans identify canadians by the way they pronounce words like about as aboot. Canadians pronounce the "ou" sound differently, affecting words with "ou" like about, house, mouse
- From the atlantic to the pacific provinces there is a wide range of canadian accents. For instance, you would recognize a newfie in an instant.
- If you know nothing about hockey, you can't be canadian
- Canadians refer to trash as garbage
When I am a canadian motivational speaker in the US I just speak slower and ennunciate more. This helps.
Most people wouldn't even know I am a motivational speaker imported from canada. Americans and canadians are so very alike.
When someone calls you names all you can think about is stabbling them in the face, so be nice. This is what makes us diverse, unique and interesting.
Read our blog, why hire a woman motivational speaker...