Generation Y thrive on focused, structured work routine. The quickest route to workplace apathy is not having clear guidelines and expectations.
As a generational speaker, I find when leadership does not know what to do with this young, entitled workforce, they grumble about it but do nothing.
As much as younger generations may rebels against policy and procedure, clear expectations are essential to their success.
Workplace Vagaries and assumptions eventually give way to shifting loyalties and increased turnover. The more structure you provide, the more effectively Generation Y will do their job.
Younger generations need to know how to be managed by you. Don't mess around when it comes to leadership, Gen Y don't need your friendship they need your guidance.
Set clear ground rules upfront. Here are some Unspoken ground rules that left undefined create chaos:
- Come to work on time.
- Limit personal calls during work hours.
- Be respectful and fair with everyone.
- Do not ignore work you don't like.
- Know what is your job, and what isn't. Do your job.
- Keep your personal life, personal.
- Immediately admit when you have made a mistake.
- If you don't know the answer, say so.
- Monitor your workflow.
- Be appropriate when questioning authority.
- Be positive and professional at work.
- Take leadership feedback and use it to make performance improvements.
- No swearing at work.
- Keep conversations at work related to work.
- Use the computer to positively enhance your work life.
- Don't Gossip. If you have an issue with someone, go directly to the person.
- Follow up on email and phone calls within 24 hours.
- Keep your commitments, if you can't, say so right away.
- Meet your deadlines.
- Don't Skip Meetings or corporate events.
- Don't drink alcohol during working lunch breaks or excessive alcohol at a corporate event.
Keep asking what do you need from me?
Need a Generational Speaker for Your corporate Event? Go Here to see the various Generational Speaker Programs we offer.
Find out the Steps to Hire a Motivational Generational Speaker